Today is 25 January, a seemingly ordinary day at first glance. However, 25th January holds a pivotal place in world history.
Keep reading to find out what important events took place on this day (Jan. 25) in sports, politics and art, along with famous birthdays and deaths in world history.
Historical Events On This Day
- In 1565, the Battle of Talkota took place between the Deccan Sultanate and Vijayanagara Empire, resulting in the latter’s defeat and the fall of the last major Hindu kingdom in South India.
- In 41 CE, Cladius I became the emperor of Rome after the murder of his nephew, Caligula, and took the nation to new heights, conquering areas of North Africa and Britain.
- In 1971, American cult leader Charles Manson and three of his followers, who carried out the grisly murder of pregnant actress Sharon Tate and four other people, were convicted.
- In 1971, the union territory of Himachal Pradesh became the 18th state of India, with Dr Yashwant Singh Parmar as its first chief minister.
- In 1980, Christian missionary and humanitarian Mother Teresa was awarded the Bharat Ratna for her work towards the betterment of the poor.
- In 2005, NASA’s Mars Exploration Rover, also called Opportunity, landed on Mars and functioned till 2018.
Sports Events Today
- In 1924, the first Winter Olympics in history were held in Chamonix, France. 16 events were organized from five sports but the host country France failed to win a single gold medal.
- In 1939, American boxing legend Joe Louis knocked out John Henry Louis in round 1 in only the second World Heavyweight Championship fight between two black boxers.
Art and Culture Events Today
- In 1949, the first Emmy Awards for best television shows were presented. However, there were only six categories and a limited audience.
- In 1961, the Disney animated classic One Hundred and One Dalmatians was released in the US and introduced fans to the iconic villain Cruella de Vil.
- In 1999, the horror film The Blair Witch Project, which sparked the trend of found-footage horror movies, premiered at the Sundance Film Festival.
- National Tourism Day
- National Voters Day
Notable Deaths On This Day
|Sr No||Death Year||Personality|
|1||1947||Al Capone, American gangster who rose to notoriety during the Prohibition era and became one of the most famous figures in the history of organized crime|
|2||1990||Ava Gardner, American actress known for her lead roles in the films Mogambo, The Barefoot Contessa and The Killers|
|3||2005||Philip Johnson, American architect who is regarded as one of the best modern architects and designed the famous Glass House in New Canaan and the Lipstick Building in New York|
|4||2017||John Hurt, veteran English actor known for his distinctive voice and versatility, starring in movies like Alien, Midnight Express and The Elephant Man|
Famous Birthdays On This Day
|Sr No||Birth Year||Personality|
|1||1824||Michael Madhusudan Dutt, celebrated Bengali poet and playwright who is considered a pioneer of Bengali literature and wrote the book “Meghnad Badh Kavya”|
|2||1882||Virginia Woolf, English writer considered one of the most important modernist authors of the 20th century and wrote the popular books “Mrs Dalloway” and “A Room of One’s Own”|
|3||1938||Etta James, American r&b singer and entertainer|
|4||1978||Volodymyr Zelenskyy, Ukrainian politician and former actor-comedian who became the sixth president of Ukraine in 2019 and served during the critical period of the Russian invasion|
|5||1980||Xavi, Spanish football player and manager who is considered one of the greatest midfielders of all time and currently manages his former club FC Barcelona|
|6||1981||Alicia Keys, American singer and actress who rose to prominence in the early 2000s with her soulful R&B tracks like “If I Ain’t Got You,” “Fallin’” and “Superwoman”|