Today in History, 14 March
Historical Events On This Day
- In 1644, England granted a patent for Providence Plantations.
- In 1689, Scotland dismissed William III & Mary Stuart as king & queen.
- In 1900, Dutch botanist Hugo de Vries rediscovered Gregor Mendel’s laws of heredity and genetics.
- In 1903, the first national bird reservation was established in Sebastian, Florida.
- In 1909, Amsterdam Social-Democratic Party (SDP) was formed.
- In 1914, a peace treaty was signed between Serbia & Turkey.
- In 1923, US President Warren G. Harding became the first president to pay taxes.
- In 2013, 25 people were killed and 50 got wounded by a series of car bombings in Baghdad, Iraq.
- In 2016, Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered Russian troops out of Syria.
- In 2018, Finland got named the world’s happiest country, and Burundi was the unhappiest in World Happiness Report.
Sports Events Today
- In 1982 Sidath Wettimuny scored Sri Lanka’s first Test Cricket century.
- In 1996, Australia defeated West Indies by 5 runs in the semi-World Cup.
- In 2004, Maryland defeated Duke by 95-87 in the 51st ACC Men’s Basketball Tournament.
Art and Culture Events Today
- In 1940, The Road to Singapore” directed by Victor Schertzinger premiered.
- In 1946, the American film, “Gilda”, starring Rita Hayworth and Glenn Ford premiered.
- In 1971, Barbra Streisand appeared on “The Burt Bacharach Special” on CBS TV.
Notable Deaths On This Day
|1||1883||Karl Marx was a 19th-century philosopher, a political economist known for his theory of Marxism. Marx is highly known for his understanding of history and socioeconomic amendment.|
|2||1975||Susan Hayward was an American actress who started her career as a supermodel and then moved to act in Hollywood. Hayward is best known for her movies, I’ll Cry Tomorrow and My Foolish Heart.|
|3||2010||Peter Graves was an American actor best remembered for his character ‘Jim Phelps’ in the television series ‘Mission: Impossible.’|
|4||2018||Stephen Hawking was an English theoretical physicist, author, cosmologist, and Director of Research at the Centre for Theoretical Cosmology at the University of Cambridge.|
|5||2018||Narendra Jha was an Indian actor best known for his work in Bollywood productions. Jha is remembered for his performances in films like Haider, Raees, and Ghayal Once Again.|
Famous Birthdays On This Day
|1||1879||Albert Einstein, known as the father of Modern Physics, Einstein is considered the greatest physicist who developed the Theory of Relativity|
|2||1948||Billy Crystal is an American actor, television host, filmmaker, comedian, and singer who has hosted the academy award nine times.|
|3||1965||Aamir Khan is an Indian actor known for his interesting choice of film scripts. Aamir is best known for his roles in movies like Lagaan, Rang De Basanti, 3 Idiots, Taare Zameen Par, and PK.|
|4||1973||Rohit Shetty is an Indian film director, writer, and producer who works in Hindi cinema. Shetyy’s breakthrough came with the comedy film franchise Golmaal, Golmaal Returns, and Golmaal 3.|
|5||1976||Daniel Gillies is a Canadian-New Zealander actor best known for the role of ‘Elijah Mikaelson’ in the TV series ‘The Vampire Diaries.|
|6||1984||Gary Ablett Jr is a former professional Australian rules footballer who played for the Geelong Football Club and Gold Coast Suns in the Australian Football League.|
|7||1995||Sandy Walsh is a professional footballer who plays as a right-back for the Belgian Pro League club Mechelen. He represented the Netherlands at youth international and won the UEFA European Under-17 Championship.|