What is an IP Address and type of IP Address?
IP Address is a unique string of numbers separated by full stops that identifies each computer using the Internet Protocol to communicate over a network.
· Internet Protocol Address
· It allows the machine to be located by other machines on the network / internet.
· An IP address is the location of a computer on the internet.
How IP addresses work
When your computer or device sends a request, like a search on Google, it tags the request with your IP address. That way Google knows where to send the response.
IP address – Static vs Dynamic
· Static IP address: Fixed and never changes, means the IP address never changes as long as you stay with the same provider or same server.
· Dynamic IP address: temporary and could change dynamically, means these IP address can change from time-to-time.
IP address – public vs private
· Public IP address: means the IP address can be visited from any computer in the world, i.e. over internet.
· Private IP address: means the IP address can only be used by those on the same network.
IP address – shared vs dedicated
· Shared IP address: means other people use your IP address for their connection or websites
· Dedicated IP address: means no one else uses your IP address for their connection or websites.