Today in History, 16 March
Historical Events On This Day
- In 1527, Mughal Emperor Babur defeated Rajput forces led by Rana Sanga at the Battle of Khanua.
- In 1792, King Gustav III of Sweden was shot by Count Jacob Johan Anckarström at a masked ball at the Opera.
- In 1984, South Africa & Mozambique signed the non-attack treaty.
- In 2005, Israel officially handed over Jericho to Palestinian control.
- In 2012, a Turkish NATO helicopter crashed into a house killing ten people on the outskirts of Kabul, Afghanistan.
- In 2013, 24 Pakistani Army soldiers were killed in Rawalpindi after their bus fell down a ravine.
- In 2016, US President Barack Obama nominated Merrick Garland as Supreme Court Justice.
- In 2017, former US President Donald Trump’s second travel ban got blocked by 2 federal courts.
- In 2018, Hong Kong’s richest person Li Ka-Shing announced his retirement at 89.
- In 2020, a COVID-19 study by London Imperial College showed migration approach could lead to 250,00 deaths in the UK.
Sports Events Today
- In 1991, Kristi Yamaguchi won the Worlds Ladies’ Figure Skating Championship in Munich.
- In 2008, Georgia defeated Arkansas by 66-57 at the 49th SEC Men’s Basketball Tournament.
- In 2012, Indian batsman Sachin Tendulkar became the first cricketer to score 100 international centuries.
Art and Culture Events Today
- In 1919, Frank Wedekind’s play “Elius Erweckung” premiered in Hamburg.
- In 1938, Noël Coward’s musical “Operette” premiered in London.
- In 1949, Johnny Belinda, Laurence Olivier, & Jane Wyman won Oscars at the 6th Golden Globes.
Notable Deaths On This Day
|1||37 BC||Tiberius was a Roman Emperor known for his military achievements. He commanded successful campaigns in various parts of Europe.|
|2||1999||Gratien Gélinas was a Canadian writer, actor, director, and producer whose major works include Tit-Coq, Bousille et les Justes, and Hier.|
|3||2010||Elena Tairova was a chess player who was awarded the FIDE titles of Woman Grandmaster in 2006 and International Master in 2007.|
|4||2015||Jack Haley was an American professional basketball player who served as an assistant coach for the New Jersey Nets and as a television broadcaster for the Lakers.|
|5||2016||Frank Sinatra Jr. was a popular American vocalist, songwriter, and actor of the 20th and 21st centuries best known for his songs The People You Never Get to Love and Walking Happy|
Famous Birthdays On This Day
|1||1926||Jerry Lewis is a comedian who earned prominence as one of the wildly popular duos ‘Martin and Lewis’ during the 1950s.|
|2||1967||Lauren Graham is an American actress and author best known for playing Lorelai Gilmore in the famous TV series, Gilmore Girls.|
|3||1971||Alan Tudyk is an American actor best known for playing ‘Dr. Noah Werner’ in the sitcom ‘Suburgatory’ and ‘Hoban Washburne’ in the space drama show ‘Firefly’.|
|4||1984||Aisling Bea is an Irish actress, writer, and stand-up comedian who was a part of the 2017 hit comedy show ‘Taskmaster’.|
|5||1986||Alexandra Daddario is an American actress, best known for her role as Annabeth Chase in the ‘Percy Jackson film series.|
|6||1994||Kaare Vedvik is a Norwegian professional gridiron football placekicker and punter for the Saskatchewan Roughriders of the Canadian Football League (CFL).|
|7||2000||Jalen Smith is an American professional basketball player who plays for the Indiana Pacers of the National Basketball Association (NBA).|
PreviousToday in History, 15 March